Trucks can be very difficult vehicles to drive. It takes a good deal of skill and experience to be able to drive one safely, especially in the case of large articulated lorries that you often see in the UK. For this reason it’s essential to have the right level of cover for a truck. Knowing the right type of cover to get is not to difficult once you’re in the know. After having read this article you should be much better informed about truck insurance and feel confident about how to go about getting quotes.
Things to Consider
Before you start looking for truck insurance quotes it’s important to know what factors are going to affect the cost of your policy. If you’re the owner of a trucking company then you’re only going to want to hire drivers who you’re able to get insurance for at a reasonable price. When it comes to the cost of a policy, insurance will take the following factors into account -
- Driving Experience – More specifically truck driving experience. A driver might have been on the road for 20 years but only driving a truck for a short amount of time. There is no substitute for experience on the roads and insurance providers know this. Drivers who have a minimum of 5 years trucking experience are always recommended
- Age – You will generally not find truck drivers under the age of 25. This is because it can be next to impossible to get affordable insurance for people younger than this. Often truck company operators will prefer to only hire drivers 30 or older.
- Claims History – A driver’s claims history will certainly have a part to play in the cost of an insurance policy. If there are many claims in your history then this will negatively impact the cost of your policy
Types of Cover
- Cargo Insurance – Most commercial lorries are used for transporting goods. Often these goods are expensive and can be the target of thieves. They can also be at risk of damage if the lorry was to be involved in a collision. Cargo insurance will provide compensation in both scenarios.
- Fleet Insurance – Fleet insurance is ideal for truck company operators who want to insure all their vehicles under one policy. It might take a bit of time to set up initially but it will save a lot of time and money in the long run.
- Breakdown Assistance – Breakdown assistance is a must for trucks. Since most are used for commercial purposes, any time spent off the road is money lost.
Using the Internet to Find Quotes
Insurance comparison sites have become extremely popular in the last few years and for good reason. They allow anyone to go online and get quotes from not just one but several insurance providers. This allows you to make an informed decision instead of simply going with the first insurance provider you contact.
Find more information at www.multiquotetruck.co.uk and see how you can save